Friday, October 5, 2012

Review of Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins







         Sweet Evil

    Author:Wendy Higgins
  Publisher:HarperTeen
  Length: 453 Pages
  Paperback, via Amazon.com
  Rating: 2.5 Brownies





                                

_______________________________________________________________

GoodReads Synopsis: 


Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

______________________________________________________________

My Review:

     
         First, I'd like to send a huge apology to any and every person that has checked my blog over the past two weeks, only to find a lack of new reviews. Life has made it a point to busy me, and it's gotten a lot harder to find time to just sit and write.

Anyhoo, moving on. 

        This review is going to turn out a bit more choppy than most of my reviews, simply because there's nothing about the book that I feel particularly passionate about. Such is one of the things contributing to its low brownie rating. 

        So, the plot of Sweet Evil is pretty generic when you strip away the details: good girl meets bad boy, is instantly attracted to bad boy and falls for bad boy despite the fact that she should be scared of him. This is, in essence, the entire premise of the book. Throw in a sexually tense road trip, a best guy friend and a back story about angels and demons and BAM: you've officially recreated Sweet Evil. I know that may come off as a bit critical, but I feel that this is one of the major reasons I couldn't bring myself to enjoy the book; everything felt extremely superficial.

        I'm going to take a moment here to discuss my dissatisfaction with Anna, the main character. Anna is the type of girl that makes you reconsider your principles regarding tossing someone out of a window. Personally, I spent half the time wanting to reach into the book and slap her with a cold fish or something. The problems mainly come from how easily she's swayed by those around her. She knew she shouldn't be doing certain things, but yet there was little to hesitation on her part to think things through. Not to mention, any and every time something even minutely questionable was mentioned, she'd go into a metal dialogue about how she's a good girl that doesn't do bad things. Ever. 

You know when you overdose on sweets and you start to feel nauseous? It's kind of like that.

        Another problem I had was with the character Kopano. I've never been a fan of love triangles, but this one was especially odd to me. I won't spoil anything too major, but I definitely feel that this should be mentioned. What it comes down to, in simple terms, is this: the way Kopano is presented and the way Anna reacts to him is frustratingly bizarre. When and if you decide to read the book, you may understand what I'm saying. The whole situation begins to feel awkward when Kopano enters the picture.

        Now, I'm pretty big on description. I like to be able to visualize as much as possible. Sweet Evil, in my opinion, did O.K in this department. Certain things were described pretty well, while others left me scrambling to put images together in my mind. If you prefer to have only the basics given to you, then you should be content with the level of world-building and imagery.

        I really don't know what else to say about this book. It feels weird to be writing a mostly negative review for this, simply because I expected to really enjoy it. I may come back to edit this if I think of any strong points that should be mentioned, but as of right now, I'm drawing a blank.

        I will say that, with a 4.22 rating on GoodReads, the majority of people really liked Sweet Evil. So, if you're interested in the premise, definitely pick it up. At the very least, it's definitely something to pass the time with. Also, Kaidan isn't such a bad love interest-- British accents have the capacity to make most anything worth while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment